UK Permanent Residence Card for Indian – Read This Before Apply

UK Permanent Residence Card for Indian-min

UK Permanent Residence Card for Indian-min

Applying for a UK Permanent Residence Card is something you may need to consider to secure your permanent residence in the UK. If you are a non-EEA (European Economic Area) related to EEA nationals by virtue of family or extended family (brother, sister, uncle, aunt, nephew, niece or unmarried partner), and has been enjoying Treaty Rights in the United Kingdom for at least 5 years, you need to be reading this article.

As of June 2018, there is an estimate of 139.2 million people coming into the UK. This was a record-breaking increase compared to the previous year. The increase composed of British, EEA and Swiss nationals and the majority is those who are non-EEA nationals. In the same period, there are recorded 235,152 grants of extension of temporary stay, which, too, has increased by 22% compared to the previous year. Out of this, there were 95,580 registration certificates and cards issued. This number, however, was 14% less than its previous year. (Source:

In the coming years, the residence card will make it easier for those in the UK to stay and claim permanent residence. This also means that they will have easier and better access to privileges that permanent residents enjoy.

How Do I Apply For A Permanent Residence-card?

If you have been living in the UK for at least 5 years, then you automatically qualify to get a permanent status and can apply for a UK residence card.

Another detail to keep in mind is that in March 2019, the EU Settlement Scheme will take effect. This scheme allows EU citizens to continue living in the UK. If you and your family have been living in the UK prior to December 21, 2020, then you are eligible to apply for either settled or pre-settled status.

uk permanent residency card-min

How Do You Know If You Qualify For A Uk Permanent Residence Card?

There are 2 main ways to determine your eligibility:

a) You qualify if you have been living with an EEA family member or extended family in the UK continuously for 5 years.

b) You qualify if the EEA family member or extended family you have been living with is considered a “qualified person” in the 5 years he or she has been living in the UK. A “qualified person” is a citizen of an EEA country or Switzerland and is currently working, studying, self-employed, self-sufficient or looking for employment.

If you have been living continuously in the UK for the last 5 years and are holding a valid EEA family permit and a residence card, then you are also eligible to get a UK Permanent Residence Card. You can either apply as a family member of an EEA national and invoke the retained right of residence or under the Surinder Sing law if you entered the UK after living in another EEA country as defined in the EU law.

There are special considerations where the 5-year requirement can be waived. The first is if the EEA national family member you were living with was working or self-employed in the UK immediately prior to their death. The other condition is if the EEA family member who has been working or is self-employed has stopped working due to retirement or permanent incapacity.


Top 4 Tips You Need to Know before applying for UK Student Visa

Here Are The Required Documents When You Apply For A UK Residence Card:

1. Your current and valid passport

2. 2 colored passport size photos

3. 1 coloured passport size photo of the EEA national or the British national sponsoring you

4. The current and valid passport or national identity card of the EEA family member sponsoring you

5. A proof of your relationship to the EEA family member. This could be in the form of a birth certificate, civil partnership certificate, marriage certificate, or any documentation that shows you have been living together for the last 2 years in case of non-marriage.

6. In addition, depending on your eligibility, you will need to present either of the following documentation:

a) The EEA family member sponsoring you has a permanent right of residence

b) The EEA family member sponsoring you is considered a “qualified person”

c) You are qualified by virtue of “retained right of residence”

d) You are qualified under the “Surinder Sing” application

6.1. In the event that your documentation is not in English or Welsh, you will also
need to furnish and submit a certified translation.

6.2. On another note, you will also need to take a look at your circumstances as you may be asked to provide additional documentation.

a) If the family member sponsoring you is currently in the UK under Treaty rights, then you will need to fill out the form for a registration certificate or residence card for a family member (Form FM). You can access the form here.

b) If the extended family member sponsoring you is an EEA national under Treaty rights, then you will need to fill out the form for a registration certificate or residence card for extended family (Form EFM). You can access the form here.

7. After your application, there is also a fee of £19.20 for the biometric information and photo for your identification.

Lastly, to set expectations, given that you have fulfilled all the requirements of the application, you can expect your permanent residence application to be processed within 6 months as per the EU law.

How Can Radvision World Consultancy Help You Apply For A Uk Residence Card?

At Radvision World Consultancy, we understand the challenges of immigration conditions and work tirelessly to address these conditions. We provide assistance by way of consultancy, to giving advice, to the whole process of application to ensure that you are able to obtain your UK permanent residence card in the easiest and most convenient way.

Our firm continuously strives to improve our processes so we can help you better. As an ISO 9001:2015 certified agency, we have been holding the reputation as one of the best overseas immigration consultancies in New Delhi. We make sure that we apply best practices by employing authorized experts who spend the time getting to know their customers and making sure that they make the application process less burdensome to the applicant. We always work to provide world class service to make our clients happy and satisfied.

Final Words

Though there is no legal requirement for the permanent residence card because, under the European Union law, there is a right of permanent residence, the permanent residence card just makes it faster and less of a hassle for you to re-enter the UK, get employment and subscribe to various services that permanent residents enjoy because you have the card that says you have the right to permanent residence.

Neha Yadav About Neha Yadav
Neha Yadav is the Sr. HR Executive at Radvision World Consultancy Services LLP. 2.4 year of experience in Human resource & End to End Recruitment, revenue growth, top talent retention, and multi-industry IT & Non-IT Both operations to ultimately meet and exceed to hire top talent as per client expectations.